ICAO establishes International Multidisciplinary Lithium Battery Transport Group
The ICAO has established an International Multidisciplinary Lithium Battery Transport Group concerned about the air transportation of lithium batteries. With Lithium-ion battery fires originating inside pallets and containers, it was determined that limiting quantities of lithium batteries and separating lithium batteries from other combustible materials may be helpful. It was also found that both current fire suppression systems fire detection systems for a fast moving aggressive Class D fire are not completely effective.
As such, it was determined that the following should be required:
- fire suppression systems in all cargo compartments of commercial aircraft
- require fire detection systems for early warning
- improved performance packaging
Improved performance packaging
Improved performance packaging can be designed to:
- contain and extinguish lithium ion and metal fires
- have Class D containment packaging that can be used by the entire logistics chain starting with the manufacturer, all the way to the consumer returning batteries for warranty and the entire logistic chain including lithium metal cells.
Want to know more ?
Helping you engineer a better solution to your firestop challenges. Contact us today.